Orthopaedic Surgeon Singapore
Doctor Guru's Featured Orthopaedic Surgeons in Singapore
Specialty of orthopaedics:
Who is an Orthopaedic Surgeon?
An orthopaedic surgeon is a doctor who specializes in treatment of bones and its surrounding muscles, this includes tissues such as tendons, ligaments that are connected to bones and their surrounding muscle.
The surgeon may use surgical or nonsurgical methods to diagnose and treat the following conditions:
- Musculoskeletal trauma,
- Degenerative diseases,
- Sports injuries,
- Infections of the bone,
- Tumors of the bone,
- Congenital disorders of the bone
The orthopedic surgeon specializes in performing the following procedures:
- Debridement of skin/muscle/bone/fracture
- Management of tumors
- Management of Congenital deformities: Club foot, knock knees, bow legs, bunions, hammertoes
- Limb lengthening
- Cerebral palsy
- Management of sprains and strains
Upper limb procedures:
- Decompression along with Shoulder arthroscopy
- Excision of clavicle (distal part)
- Management of wrist problems(carpal tunnel)
- Rotator cuff tendon tear management
- Management of fracture of radius & ulnar bones
- Debridement of wounds
- Repair of tendon sheath in fingers
Lower limb procedures:
- Chondroplasty along with Knee arthroscopy
- Reconstruction of the Anterior cruciate ligament
- Replacement of Knee joint
- Management of femoral neck fracture
- Repair of menisci in the knee along with arthroscopy
- Replacement of hip joint
- Ankle fracture management (bimalleolar type)
- Repair of ankle fracture (fibula)
- Management of fusion of the lumbar spines
- Low back surgeries concerning the intervertebral disc
- Laminectomy (A surgical operation to remove the back of vertebrae.)
- Management of spine disorders (e.g., sciatica, scoliosis, ruptured disc)
How to choose a good orthopaedic surgeon?
1) Does the subspecialty/area of expertise of the surgeon match your requirement? Orthopaedics is now a very highly branched specialty i.e. it has many sub-specialties and orthopedic surgeons may choose to further specialize in areas such as spinal surgery, foot and ankle treatment, knee replacement, limb lengthening etc.
Ask your surgeon which area (s)he specializes in or has more experience in and make sure it matches your requirement. This is important because some doctors have enormous experience in one area of surgery and practically zero to minimal expertise in other areas of orthopaedics.
2) Enquire about the hospital’s reputation in Orthopaedics: This is important because certain hospitals earn their reputation for providing excellent emergency care or for providing cutting edge diagnostic services; however this does not mean the orthopedic department is world-class. Enquire which hospital/ doctor holds a good clinical record & reputation in orthopaedics.
3) Learn about the doctor’s bedside manners, compassion for patients & concern for patients. This can play a significant role in your treatment, comfort & recovery process from pain.
Where do you find orthopaedic surgeons in Singapore?
You can find them for consultation in national healthcare centres, public or private hospitals.
What are the minimum requirements to become an orthopaedic surgeon in Singapore?
You will need to have excellent grades throughout university or medicine school. You will need years of fellowship in order to practice. Also, you must have a clean record during this fellowship. Some students graduate from local universities such as the National University of Singapore(NUS) and international universities such as Harvard University.